Social Planning Cowichan is a non-profit organization with offices at 203- 5878 York Road, North Cowichan. It was formed in 2004 and has been very successful in getting its members elected to positions on local Municipal Councils, as CVRD Directors and, as of 20 October 2018, as Mayor of Duncan.
Social Planning Cowichan is definitely on the “progressive” side of the political spectrum. Here is a link to its “Vision”. In February 2015 Social Planning Cowichan created the Cowichan Housing Association. As of 20 October 2018, as a result of the Yes vote on the CVRD Referendum on CVRD Bylaw 4201, the Cowichan Housing Association stands to be the recipient of $765,000, or more, per year in taxpayer funds to be raised by new CVRD taxation.
Here is a map showing the location of 5878 York Road:
Here is a link showing the 2018 Staff and Directors of Social Planning Cowichan.
Notice that they include several people elected to Municipal Councils and the CVRD Board in the October 2018 Municipal elections:
- Michelle Staples – elected Mayor of Duncan in October 2018. Michelle Staples was Executive Director of Social Planning Cowichan until 20 October 2018. We hear she has been replaced as Executive Diretor by former CVRD Director Kerry Davis, although this does not appear on the Social Planning Cowichan website as of November 2018. Prior to being Executive Director of Social Planning Cowichan, Michelle Staples was Special Projects Consultant with Social Planning Cowichan.
- Rosalie Sawrie – elected to Municipality of North Cowichan Council on 20 October 2018. Is the Project Director & facilitator at Social Planning Cowichan. She is also on the Board of One Cowichan.
- Kate Marsh – elected to Municipality of North Cowichan Council on 20 October 2018. Is also a Cowichan Valley Regional District Director from the Municipality of North Cowichan. Is a Director of Social Planning Cowichan and Social Planning Cowichan Liason to the Municipality of North Cowichan
- Christopher Justice – elected to Municipality of North Cowichan Council on 20 October 2018. Is a Director of Social Planning Cowichan
- Amanda Jacobson – elected to the Town of Ladysmith Council on 20 October 2018. Serves as the alternate Town of Ladysmith representative on Social Planning Cowichan
- Tricia McKay – elected to the Town of Ladysmith Council on 20 October 2018. Serves as the alternate Town of Ladysmith representative on Social Planning Cowichan
The above list only reflects the Social Planning Cowichan members who are on record as being members. We suspect that other Councillors elected in the Municipal Elections of 20 October 2018 may also be members of Social Planning Cowichan. We will do more research on that and update this page with what we find.
Here is some more information about Social Planning Cowichan:
- Annual Report – 2015 [note: PDF]
Here is a YouTube video posted in 2017 by Michelle Staples, who was elected Mayor of Duncan on 20 October 2018. This video was apparently made by Social Planning Cowichan and the Cowichan Housing Association.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?