Welcome to the Duncan Taxpayers website.
My name is Mark Anderson and I started this website in May 2018 as a way of campaigning for the No side in the Amalgamation Referendum which was held in Duncan and the Municipality of North Cowichan on 23 June 2018.
As a resident of the City of Duncan who strongly disagreed with the proposed Amalgamation of Duncan and North Cowichan, I wanted to use this website to help counter the well financed Cowichan Pro Amalgamation campaign in favour of the Amalgamation of the City of Duncan with the neighbouring Municipality of North Cowichan.
As you know, Duncan voters rejected Amalgamation in the Referendum held on 23 June 2018.
Following the Amalgamation Referendum campaign I used this site as my campaign website when I ran, unsuccessfully as it turned out, for Duncan Council in the Municipal Election held on 20 October 2018.
I am now using this website to provide information to Duncan taxpayers on local affairs.
Here are some additional posts I put up during my campaign for City of Duncan Council:
- We Need A New Controlled Substances Property Bylaw – this will make it easier for the City of Duncan to deal with properties which have become public health hazards through drug related issues.
- Duncan Needs To Work With The CVRD, Cowichan Tribes And Other Municipalities To Encourage VIHA To Reduce The Number Of Used Needles On Our Streets And Public Areas
- Maintaining Duncan’s Historic Downtown Character To Encourage Tourism and Business (post coming soon)
- Policing Costs In Duncan – Present And Future
I have publicly stated my opposition to the CVRD Referendum questions on proposed CVRD Bylaws 4201 and 4201. Here are links to some other articles opposing these proposed CVRD Bylaws:
- Ian Caesar on RichardHughes.ca – We Definitely Need More Critical Thinkers At The CVRD – CHA Has No Competency To manage Construction Projects
- Al Siebring – Campaign For Mayor of North Cowichan
- Referendum Thoughts From CVRD Director Klaus Kuhn
- Ian Caesar – Thought Leader On Referendum
I will be adding more to this website in the days and weeks ahead. Check out the list of candidates for Mayor of Duncan and City of Duncan Council here.
Would you like to leave a comment or question about anything on this page?